Food poisoning occurs when you consume contaminated food that has been exposed to toxins of pathogens. Food poisoning symptoms occurs immediately as soon as you consume contaminated food and it is characterized by severe headache, vomiting, stomach pain, nausea and diarrhoea and weakness.
Symptoms of Food Poisoning Include:
- Stomach pain
- Mild fever
- Decreased urine output
If you experience the above-mentioned symptoms after consuming food that has been contaminated by bacteria then see your doctor immediately. Preventing Food Poisoning. If you follow some safety measures you can prevent food form getting contaminated by bacteria and avoid food poisoning.
Here are few Tips to Prevent Food Contamination
- Do not use foods that have been expired.
- Store hot foods and cold foods separately.
- Always cook food in hygienic conditions with clean water.
- Do not purchase frozen foods that has not been stored in the freezer and left outside.
- Do not buy food that is in a damaged pack or cans.
- When you eat outside in the restaurants make sure the serving bowls, plates etc. are clean and also see that the serving staff wears gloves.
- When you buy eggs, avoid buying cracked or dirty eggs.
- When you go for shopping always buy fresh and hot food.
- To prevent food poisoning eat home cooked freshly prepared food.
- Always wash your hands before and after cooking.
- Keep your cutting board and other cutlery clean.
- Always make sure to prepare, serve and store food properly.
- Food poisoning is common and not a cause to worry; it will heal within 3 to 4 days.
- If you have food poisoning the first step is to keep you hydrated by drinking electrolytes, coconut water or sports drinks these liquids will restore body fluids which has been drained due to vomiting and diarrhea as a result of food poisoning.
- Drink teas prepared with herbs like peppermint, chamomile or dandelion as this will calm your upset stomach and has a soothing effect on your digestive system.
- You can take medicines like Imodium and Pepto-Bismol that will help suppress nausea and control diarrhea.
- Take plenty of rest.