What is Creatine ?
Creatine is a product formed naturally by the body muscle cells, it is not a nutrient. It is a mixture of elements made by the body and then used to store energy. This stored energy is utilized when the phosphate molecules are combined with creatine to form creatinephosphate (a compound in charge for the supply of energy for muscular functions).
Creatine is a mixture of elements like amino acids, glycine, arginine and methionine, it is naturally found in body muscle cells. Most of the creatine is stored in muscles and a very meagre amount of creatine is stored in brain, kidneys and liver. It is stored in the form of creatine phosphate.
What Creatine does?
Creatine as a supplement is very commonly taken by bodybuilders, sports people to gain more muscle, strength and improve their performance during physical activities. When creatine is taken as a supplement, your creatine phosphates (energy) is increased and stored in the cells, this helps your body produce a molecule called Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), it is an energy molecule. It is a very high energy molecule that helps you perform high intensity training with more vigour and without making you tired. Creatine Increases your muscle size, body mass and strength useful for sports like swimming, football, hockey and other high energy sports
Side Effects of Creatine-
Creatine is known to be the most popular performance enhancing supplement, which helps physically active people to work out for long periods, increases the muscle size, and gives them the strength, and extra power to perform vigorously
Along with benefits, creatine is also tagged with causing side effects when used in excess
Some of the side effects are :
- Headache combined with nausea, vomiting
- skin rash
- affects kidney functions
- affects blood sugar levels
- digestive issues
- Gastrointestinal problems.
Side-effects of creatine supplements has been long discussed and researches being conducted. But there is no evidence to prove that creatine causes side effects. It is still not clear the long term effects of taking creatine supplements can cause problems. People who take creatine more frequently without consulting doctor may have some minor side effects , but if you already have unhealthy kidneys and liver problems, then usage of excess creatine can be harmful to your organs. Having said that, creatine is considered to be mostly safe. But to be on safer side and rule out any doubts, it is better to take doctor’s advice before taking creatine supplements. And also the doctor will give you breakups of creatine consumption, if you plan to use supplements.
How does Creatine work?
Creatine is already there in the body doing its work that is building muscles. Creatine is naturally produced by the body by the food we eat like meat products and fish. Creatine in our body is stored mostly in muscles as creatin, e phosphate and is always ready to be used for proper functioning of the body and enhancing performance especially for high intensity exercise and heavy lifting and athletic performance.
When creatine supplements are taken, the excess creatine is stored in the cells and is used to produce ATP, an energy molecule a source for high intensity performance.
Creatine works in our body by –
- Improving the working of muscles, like repairing wear and tears of muscles and promoting muscle growth.
- Anabolic hormonal growth is observed
- Increases muscle cell volume, as creatine is known to increase water content in muscle cells.
- Creatine supplements promotes muscle growth by lowering the protein breakdown, and also boosts formation of new proteins that helps in creating new fibres.
- Creatine supplements allows you to produce more ATP energy that boosts muscles, when you perform high intensity exercise
- Creatine has been helpful to people with Parkinson’s disease by reducing its severity by balancing dopamine levels and muscle functions
- Creatine plays an important role in improving brain health and prevents neurological disease, supplements by storing good amount of creatine phosphates in the brain, due to intake of creatine supplements.
- Creatine supplements have been useful in reducing blood sugar levels , thereby controlling diabetes
- Creatine supplements have been known to reduce fatigue and tiredness by increasing dopamine levels in brain
Thus creatine supplements has loads of benefits and plays a pivotal roles maintaining muscle growth, reduces neurological disorders and improve quality of life. It is an effective, cheap and beneficial supplement. It can be taken used for long term.